Friday, May 25, 2012

School of Home Management

Milk gets spoilt if you forget to boil it twice.
Cleaning Spinach takes good odd 10 mins.
Proportions of water, salt are sometimes tricky.
When something tastes good, it’s always less and when something tastes awful, you always have a helping at hand...

At a grocer's store there are some ten varieties of rice and a few less of different colored lentils.



There are tens of brands of oil at hand, some items when bought by weight are too much to consume.

Phew! It’s tough running a house, or is it running around a house?

I have recently joined the league of women who have to juggle between managing work and house chores. Within a span of three days I have learnt the rates of milk, vegetables, rice, wheat and the most important talent for a woman-BARGAINING.I am amused that I have actually started saying "Dus mein nahin, paanch mein de do".

There are so many things needed to make a house, a HOME. It was so easy earlier, coming home to a dinner waiting for you. Not being bothered about what to cook for tomorrow or check the inventory in the refrigerator. Now I browse for Recipes more than anything else on the internet.

Thankfully I have got a maid for washing utensils. Or you don’t even realize when the sink is full of those mean, sticky, slimy pots and pans staring back at you.



The maid removed the ring of the pressure cooker for washing…Unmindful of it I put rice in it and went off for my bath...When I came back, the rice was all black and so was the whole pressure cooker.
I got so annoyed that some of my dresses are running color in spite of paying a thousand bucks.
So I have to wash them separately. The hunt for Doodhwala, Paperwala, and Istriwala was easy thanks to some helpful neighbors.

Grief can take care of itself, but to get the full value of joy, you must have somebody to divide it with. - Mark Twain

It’s a bit tough, but its real fun.And when you have a wonderful partner along the journey, the stress is gone within no time. I have a south Indian for myself who made me a dosa when I had a tough time getting one on the pan. He added just the right amount of water for the right consistency of batter.

I am graduating everyday in this school of home management. My hats off to all those wonderful women who have easily managed to be the toppers in this school.When you come to office, with a packed lunch that you have cooked yourself, eating it is a satisfaction that cannot be explained. There’s so much to go wrong, so much to learn. I will keep trying till I get it right. Wish me luck...

Oops...I got to go now. The milk is spilling over...


No comments:

Post a Comment